Sunday, September 25, 2005

One Handed Cut & Shuffle

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

TOTH to Cory Doctorow:

A Kuro5hin poster has written a great detailed, illustrated tutorial on one-handed card-shuffling and deck-cutting. From the basic grip rotate your hand so the deck is standing vertically along the longest axis, holding the cards up with your little finger resting underneath. The vertical grip isn't strictly necessary, but it makes a clean cut of the cards easier. Bring your forefinger out from the back of the deck and grip the side of the deck above your middle finger. Use your forefinger to pull back half the cards. Now pinch the bottom half of the deck (closest to your palm) tightly between thumb and forefinger, letting the top half go with your thumb and balancing it on your little finger and supporting it with your middle and ring finger. You'll want to rotate your hand away from you slightly to do this, letting the top half of the deck balance neatly in your last three fingers.

Link!

Video Link!

MM

3 Comments:

Blogger MagiFeller said...

This was one of the first card moves I ever learned, and I still love doing it.

There's a waterfall type shuffle that's very similar to this.

Where they part ways is when the cards come together. When you've got them interlaced you push the bottom edges in a little more and hold your hand upright.

Sort of like a V.

Have your free hand's thumb drag down the card closest to the spectator and you have the V cascade into one stream of cards.

I've seen a video floating around the net (I'm sure slightgeek probably has one) and I don't have my Amateur Magician's Handbook handy or I'd list the creator and name the shuffle.

If you like the one handed shuffle I'd recommend it. It's fun to play with and looks great in practiced hands.

If no one's heard of it I'll look up the name tonight.

2:07 PM  
Blogger MagiFeller said...

Apparently I do my one handed shuffle differently than the article recommends. I checked out the video and it's different too.

I do it upside down.

But I think it makes more sense that way. Pick up a deck of cards with your palm facing down. Tilt vertical and cut, then weave the bottom corners. Tilt back again so that your palm is down and arch the cards as you do. Get your index finger out of the V and the cards will dovetail down together.

I prefer this for two reasons:

It's more natural for when you pick a deck up, shuffle, and set it back down.

And this way the onlookers get a much better view of the cards weaving together. The guy in the video looked almost clumsy, did it too quickly, and hid all the action from the onlookers.

Of course, I've always had a thing for nice looking dovetails, and that’s how I've always treated my one hand shuffle.

Anybody else think different?

5:09 PM  
Anonymous jer said...

I had a couple requests for a more step-by-step video showing how to do it.

http://nyquil.org/index.php?/archives/351-One-Hand-Shuffle-Howto.html

It's still pretty clumsy, but a big part of that is because I'm trying to keep my hand in a bad spot/angle to shoot it. Also, I wasn't posting the video to show off my mad skills, I was just trying to illustrate the concept to people who only had the benefit of the text description.

I'll have to try it upsidedown like magifeller suggests.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home